Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I knew it was going to be difficult to top our previous touring day, but today was the day we had tickets to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. We drove to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, which was only about 20 minutes from our hotel. We did not have to wait in any lines, made it through airport type security with ease (except that I lost my little swiss army knife keychain- I loved that thing!) and boarded the ferry. After about 15 minutes of taking pictures and walking around on deck, we headed out toward Ellis Island. I found it to be interesting, but the kids were not very interested and they were making it difficult to take any time to really look around. So, I mostly kept moving and just looked at pictures and items on display instead of reading all the signs. Oh, who am I kidding? That is pretty much what I do anyway. Well, we missed the 10:00 ferry by about 10 minutes, so we found a nice shady spot with a bench and the kids ran around in the grass. The next ferry pulled out at 10:40 and we were on our way to the Statue of Liberty. In retrospect, we probably should have skipped Ellis Island and gone on the way back (although I’m not sure how that would work with the ferries) because by the time we got to the Statue, it was pretty busy. Ferries also leave from Battery Park in NYC, so there were quite a few people there. We had advance tickets that allowed us entry in the statue, although we would have only been able to go to the top of the base. We found the line and I knew instantly that I didn’t care that much. I said I would take the kids and eat and walk around if everyone else wanted to wait in line and go up. Mom and Dad both opted to come with me, but Derek wanted to wait it out. The rest of us went to the restaurant, ordered cheeseburgers and some pizza for Abby and ate at a nice little spot outside. We took our time and enjoyed the nice breeze. After lunch, Mom and I picked out some souvenirs in the gift shop and then we walked around the Statue. It was amazing. We made the circle, took some pictures and ended up back where we had left Derek in line. There were some dancers putting on some performances so we watched for a little bit and then Derek made his way back to where we were. Then we made one more circle around, took some more pictures, and ended up at the ferry dock. After a short wait, we boarded and were on our way back to New Jersey. We took the scenic route back to the hotel (on accident), but we made it. Dad walked to McDonald’s and brought back supper. Derek and Abby swam, kids fell asleep, and we enjoyed some more cards. It was another amazing day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s