Monday, April 27, 2009

Derek woke up at about 6:45 and got ready for his conference. He left a little before 7:30 and the kids woke up shortly after. They had poptarts and peaches for breakfast and I had some raspberry danish from Kroger. Abby watched some cartoons and then at about 8:45, we headed out the door. Our first stop was at the McLean County Nursing Home to visit my grandma. She was very excited to see us and told us that many times. Abby told her about the hotel and how she got to swim. We visited for about 45 minutes and then it was time to be on our way. The next place we went was called Mess it Up Kids Fun Center. We went in and at first glance, it seemed awesome. There were lots of different areas for the kids to do activities and there was music and a bubble machine blowing bubbles and bright colors on the walls. The only thing was, it was just not well kept up. It felt like a garage sale or something. The toddler area was tiny and not particularly safe. It had a slide and there was a space where the kids could crawl under the slide that wasn’t padded. There were gaps between the pads on the floor and right next to the toddler area was the dino dig. We did not do the dino dig, but it had what looked to be mulch (possibly fake mulch) and it was spreading out into the other areas, like the toddler area. I was glad that Cade is mostly past the stage of picking up everything and putting it in his mouth. There was a dress up area and all the dresses had holes or rips in them. There was a throne for the kids to sit on and one of the armrests was coming off. There was a chalk wall, painting, and a sandbox table. Cade wanted to climb into the sandbox table so badly. He couldn’t figure out why he couldn’t. There was a huge climbing area that resembled a McDonald’s playland. It had tunnels, slides, a ball pit, and a rope bridge. I was told I could go in with the kids, so I did. After all, we were the only people there. The climbing area could have been nice, but there were parts where the safety nets were falling down, the pads were ripping off the slide, there were gaps by the rope bridge that I think Cade could have fallen through, and staples showing on one of the benches. It wasn’t anything where I felt like the kids were in immediate danger, but I would not have let them go in alone. I was careful to watch out for their safety. There were video game machines like racing, skeeball, pop-a-shot, and air hockey and they could play all of them for free. The only problem with those was that Abby and Cade are a bit young for any of those. There was also an inflated maze area, but it was in the dark and Abby didn’t like it. Overall, it was okay for killing some time (about 1 1/2 hours we stayed), but I didn’t feel like it was a ton of fun or anything. I forgot to take the camera, but I think all I would have taken pictures of would have been all of the things that were falling apart. We left about 11:30 and came back to the hotel. Cade was too tired to eat lunch, so I put him down for a nap. Abby had her leftover mac&cheese and I had a salad and spaghetti-o’s with meatballs. It was nice to have a fridge and a microwave in the room. After Abby ate some lunch, she took a nap and I caught up on the blog while they both slept. Cade woke up first at about 2:00 and he ate lunch while Abby finished her nap. After Abby woke up, we went for a walk around the hotel. When Derek was almost done with his meeting, I took the kids to the pool at about 4:30. We swam for just a few minutes and then Derek met us there. Cade did not like it a whole lot, so I took him back to the room after about 15 minutes. Abby and Derek stayed another 15 minutes or so. We all got dressed and got ready to meet John and some of his friends for his birthday dinner. We met at Bandana’s at 5:30. John, Troy, Lindsay, Izabelle, Tony, Emily, Nevin, Brandy, and us all ate dinner. Afterward, John came to our hotel room to visit for a while. Then it was time for the kids to take a bath and then another quick walk around the pool and exercise room. One of Abby’s favorite things was to fill up a cup at the water cooler in the exercise room. She was disappointed when they ran out of “ice cream cone cups.” Then it was time to start getting ready for bed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s